1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin cups with paper baking cups.
2. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk in medium bowl; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice, nutmeg and ginger in separate medium bowl. Alternately add flour mixture and pumpkin mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
4. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans 15 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
5. Prepare Maple Frosting; pipe or spread over cupcakes. Sprinkle with decors or sugar.
Beat 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) softened butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add 3 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, if necessary, to reach desired spreading consistency. Makes 2-1/2 cups.